Bookmark me while you are here!!!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 3, 2013

July 3--Photo Challenge
Cold

The first thing I thought of when i saw the prompt cold was my freezer.  When I opened the freezer to take a picture I saw some of my stash of frozen strawberries.  This made me want to make a Strawberry Julius, but I'm out of milk and too lazy to go to the store.  In case you want one here's the recipe:
Strawberry Julius
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Milk
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 lb. Strawberries
1 tray Ice (about 2 cups)

Mix all of the ingredients in the blender until smooth. Enjoy!!!





July 3 Slice of Life
We spent another day working on the Visitor House.  Today I found a tin picnic basket in the corner of the dining room.  I could tell it had something inside from the movement and the weight.  It was full of recipes, hundreds of recipes.  Some were torn from magazines, others were handwritten on scraps of paper, index cards and notebook paper.  Some were even printed on an old mimeograph machine.  When I find a collection like this I have to wonder where did they come from?  What's the story behind each one?  Some were carefully written in script, others were hastily scribbled on a scrap of paper. I don't believe it was a collection that belonged to just one person,  because many different people's handwriting was represented and there was no organization--just tossed together.  I looked through it, but decided to toss it out since old paper really doesn't smell very good and I already have a huge recipe collection.  But I couldn't help wonder about the people who wrote out the recipes and how they came to be in a box together in an old house in Tennessee!


No comments: