Bookmark me while you are here!!!

Saturday, November 1, 2014

apple butter

Makes the house smell really good when this is bubbling on the stove.  
Apple Butter
I sorta followed the recipe from my canning book, which is an old publication from the extension service.  I am pretty sure it is out of print now but it is the bible of canning.
We cut up a kettle full of apples and add about 1/3 as much apple juice as fruit. I cooked them until they are soft and then puree in the blender.  Measuring as I puree I then add 1 cup of sugar to 2 cups of apple pulp.  I mix brown and white sugar using mostly white.  For every quart of pulp add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of allspice.  Return mixture to the stove and cook for about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours until it reaches the consistency you like.  I make pints cans for my niece Aimee to use in her apple pies and 1/2 pints for enjoying on biscuits!  Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments: