Bookmark me while you are here!!!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What a Day!

Today we made plans to take my Dad to a doctor in Nashville. He has had some severe to moderate pain for several weeks. It just will not go completely away. The doctors he has seen have ordered tests but they do not show the source of his pain. This pain was caused simply by reaching into the refrigerator to get something!
He had an appointment at 9:00 A.M. so we left home about 6, knowing that morning traffic in the city would be heavy. We planned to get to the appointment, go visit with our grand kids, stop and buy a few things at Walmart on the way home and just enjoy the day. That was the plan......this was what happened!

We arrived at the appointment 30 minutes early which we thought was excellent and would give him time to fill out his new patient info (which he said included his ss number no more than 11 times). This is about the time the cloud of doom that followed us all day appeared!
The doctor's office had no record of his appointment. He had a card with the time and place written down by the referring doctor. It seems that after sorting out some information the two doctors had a cell phone conservation setting up this appointment, but the Nashville doctor failed to tell his staff about this appointment. He also failed to remember that he had a meeting that day which would last until almost 11.
So, we walked all the way back to the car and decided to spent the extra time at Target, which didn't seem so bad because we could have a snack and do a little shopping. At Target I made a beeline for the Starbucks to enjoy my favorite drink, strawberries and creme. I have enjoyed this drink many times it is delicious everywhere. This one tasted like it had tea in it. I hate tea, tea is bitter! My better half confirmed the fact that it was yucky. We ended up throwing it away.
We made it back to the hospital, scored a great parking space across from the walkway and hiked it back to the 8th floor. We settled in to wait and just about the time 11 o'clock rolled around, the fire alarm went off! Seriously. Some people started to leave, but a receptionist told us to wait. Now remember we are on the 8th floor, elevators do not work when the fire alarm is going off so we were about to have to hike down 8 flights of stairs and my Dad is here because he is hurt!
After about 15 minutes during which the high pitched fire alarm continued to blast and give instructions. . . "this is an emergency, go to the nearest stairwell and to the first floor"- we learned that a patient on the 7th floor had pulled the alarm and all was okay. I think someone might have been tired of waiting or filling out forms and needed some attention!
After the doctor visit, we had to go to another location where Dad had to have a test with dye. If you don't lay back for the most part of the next 24 hours, this test may cause you to have a headache.
While he was having the test, we did get to run and visit with the King of the Ponderosa for a little bit.
We picked up the parents from the test , laid Dad back in the passenger seat, put me in the middle of back seat with Mom on my left and Peanut made the drive home! Dad slept most of the way back and traffic today was light. So, we didn't have the day we planned, but hopefully we will get some news about the pain. We did have to laugh at all the things that went wrong today.
You know what they say about the best laid plans. . . How was your day?

1 comment:

Misty said...

When it rains it POURS!!! I hate days like that!